The Presidend Killed My Dog #2, written by Chris Kostecka, art by Dietrich Smith


Comic: The President Killed My Dog #2
Release date: 2018 
Writer: Chris Kostecka
Artist: Dietrich Smith
Cover: full-color
Interior: full-color
Synopsis: Mary hoards everything including memories. She treats her dog Cindy like the child she could never bring into this world. One day, a freak accident leaves Cindy injured, and Mary's fragile mind cracks. Mary's world starts to unravel, and she vows vengeance upon the resident and his family. She wants them suffer like they have made her suffer. 





The Deal

A couple of weeks ago the writer, Chris Kostecka, contacted me to ask if I was willing to review this comic (issue #1 and #2). Since I had just moved and am almost finished with the house I had time to do so. He shipped The President Killed My Dog issue #1 and #2 from, what I hear is colder than Antartica Chicago to my new house and here I am. I promised an honest review so here we go.

The Feel

The same quality paper was used as for the first issue so I can only reiterate what I wrote before. The full-color 40-page comic is printed on beautiful silky and shiny paper. The paper used for the cover is about double the weight of the individual interior pages. The paper shows off the fully saturated colors and where you sometimes can feel the ink on top of the paper with this comic you definitely can't. All the ink has been absorbed by the paper giving it a beautiful shine. The comic is kept together with two saddle stitches. I'm impressed with the quality and luxury of the paper and the ink. The comic is slightly (about 0.5mm) bigger than regular, but still fits the regular sized board and bag. 

The Story

In this second issue we see Mary slowly losing her grip on reality. The memories of her most recent loss finally drive her over the edge. Mary is now on a mission, but has no real plan. All she knows is that she needs bullets. But getting them is not as easy as you might think. A few felonies later Mary is in a real bind, but luckily she has a way out. But is it enough? This second issue ends just where it should: with a big cliffhanger


My scanner has added the little blocks you see in the colouring, they are not in the comic!

The Look

Issue one has a lot of colouring in the red/brown range. Issue two is much brighter and uses a wider range of colors. The outdoor backgrounds have more color (i.e. less black) in them which I really enjoyed. I think Dietrich Smith is right on point with the colors in this second issue. The comic uses every page, including both sides of the back cover. A lot of ground is covered in this issue and we get led through all of it with well thought out and easy to follow panels and artwork. I really dig the back cover.

The Conclusion

This issue is a step up from the first. The story is taking shape and the widened colorsceme is very welcome. I love the snippets of Mary's past in the storyline. It reminds me of Stephen King who frequently switches back and forth between the past and the present. The comic fits well into your hand and the luxury paper is sturdy making it an easy read. If I picked it up in my local store and browsed through it I would definitely have bought it.


My scanner has added the little blocks you see in the colouring, they are not in the comic!

How to get a copy

If you want to support the publisher, you can order a copy of this and/or their other comics from their website BadAura.comTheir website also holds a great great introduction video to issue #1. You can find the video here. You can also order the comic from Amazon.



Share this article :
 
Content copyright © 2014. Small Press Comics Review - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template