Morgan's Organs - Issue #2 - Craps by Daniel Brodie, Robert Jennex & Tyler Kelting


Comic: Morgan's Organs #2 - Craps
Release date:  September 2017
Writer & Lettering: Daniel Brodie
Pencils & Inks: Robert Jennex
Colors: Tyler Kelting
Cover: full-color
Interior: full-color
Synopsis:  A comedy comic book series that takes place inside our insides. What if there are micro-beings living within us who are responsible for the functioning of our inner body systems? They can influence our thoughts, our actions, and our urges. It's like Pixar's Inside Out but for grown-ups!






The Deal

Morgan's Organs #1-3 is on Kickstarter right now and I was asked to do a review of Morgan's Organs #1 and #2. I checked out the Kickstarter and the Morgan's Organs website that has an online preview of all three issues and decided to write the reviews. I got the PDF's and just finished my review of issue #1 a couple of days ago. Now here we are, back again for issue #2.

The Story

Here we are again with Morgan, who's trying to win a sure bet at craps. If he loses he gets kicked in the nuts by one of his friends. Pepe (the penis) is having none of it. He doesn't want to lose, he remembers how much it will hurt. The brain isn't worried. After all, it's a sure thing. The dice role and Morgan loses, but in a panic, and before any one of his friends sees the dice he swallows it. This gives Morgan a bad case of indigestion and the fun begins with his organs trying to decide the best course of action. Or better yet: what side do we send the dice? Up, down or do we keep it?
This is when this issue really becomes good and funny. The organauts are all individuals which make up Morgan. I was slightly confused after reading issue #1 on why Morgan is left to his devices in the story. He seems bland compared to the organs, but that is because he's not the protagonist (as I'd thought before). The organs are and especially Bran (the brain) without whom the organs would all go their own way. He is the glue that keeps the story together.
Pepe is obviously worried that if the dice do go out he'll get kicked in the gonads and Meat (the stomach) isn't sure if he even wants to handle the alien device. All brain knows is that it's got to go. We get tangled up into a web of funny moments which reaches it's peak when we roaler coaster through the intestants. For me this story had more depth and really dove into the organauts characters. 

The Look

I looked long and hard to see if I could find differences in coloring between the first and second issue and I can't. The art looks the same to me even though there's another artist involved. The look and feel of the issue are the same as with the first one. Which is good, because as I said in the first issue, the art and the writing fit very well together. In this issue there are a number of bigger panels or art as a background to the panels and I really like those pages. There's so much to see in them. I just had to read the issue a second time, taking my time, taking note of all that happened in the background. I like the cartoony style especially in the panels depicting the organs. I like how organically (pun intended) their movements are. The organs are easy to recognise which makes the story easy to read. 


The Conclusion

In my oppinion this second issue is better than the first one. The art is just as good, though I think the layout and panelling in this one is better. I found this story funnier, and the writing better. Which is what we want. We want our artist and writers to grow with every issue they create. I have high expectations for the third issue, which I will be supporting on Kickstarter right after this review is placed. I like that the issues are self-contained story wise so if you read just get one issue out of the series you have a full and comprehensable story in a single issue. If you aren't put off by a little crudeness, some profanity and sexual refrences then you'll enjoy this comic book series. 


How to get a copy

As I am writing this the Kickstarter for issue #3 (that also has #1 and #2 available) is running until June 15th 2019. After the Kickstarter ends you'll be able to get the comic issues at the Morgan's Organs website. Which is also the place where you can read previews of all three issues. 





Share this article :
 
Content copyright © 2014. Small Press Comics Review - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template